Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Background of the project
Hivos and ARTICLE19 launched a global programme on Open Contracting Data, funded by the Dutch government, and in collaboration with the Open Contracting Partnership. The programme aims to open up government contracting by supporting journalists, activists, businesses and civic watchdog organisations in their efforts to use contracting data and public revenue flows for public scrutiny, so that the huge sums of taxpayers’ money are spent honestly and efficiently, according to the highest standards of transparency and integrity.
Hivos East Africa’s Open contracting programme intends to work with the media and other stakeholders in order to influence disclosure of contracts, citizens’ oversight of government contracting and increase reporting on Open Contracting. The programme further intends to catalyse efficacy in government contracting to improve the quality public service delivery and the citizens’ lives.
In order to do so, Hivos East Africa needs to deepen its understanding about the media landscape and the current Open Contracting narrative in reporting.
Objectives of the assignment
Hivos seeks to procure the services of a consultant to undertake a media and content mapping assignment in Kenya, Tanzania and Malawi.
The objective of the media and content mapping is three fold:
- To deepen Hivos’ understanding of the Kenya, Malawi and Tanzania media landscape in relation to Open Contracting ;
- To identify potential media partners in the three countries that can contribute to the Open Contracting programme goals;
- To acquire baseline information on current reporting on Open Contracting;
- Identify gaps on current media reporting on open contracting.
The consultant will be required to undertake the mapping exercise in Kenya, Tanzania and Malawi. He/she will make intensive use of the knowledge already existing within Hivos, experience of Hivos’ staff and stakeholders. More specifically, he/she will carry out a mapping exercise by conducting desk/field research and focused group discussions with targeted representatives of institutions. The consultant will be required to develop a comprehensive methodology for the execution of this assignment.
Roles and responsibilities
- Develop and submit an inception report outlining methodology, work plan and budget to Hivos.
- Develop and present a media mapping report to Hivos in two formats-written texts and a soft copy for validation.
The mapping exercise will be conducted within 26 working days spread from 27th February to 3rd April 2017.
- A strong background and network in media (Kenya, Tanzania and Malawi).
- Proven knowledge and experience in media research.
- Familiarity with transparency, accountability and open contracting issues in the target countries.
- Proof of previous assignments of a similar nature.
- Academic qualifications in communications and media (at least Masters Level).
If interested, please submit a proposal or expression of interest (indicating your understanding of the assignment, methodology, plan of action, budget etc.) along with the CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to email@example.com by 20th February, 2017.
A comprehensive ToR of the exercise can be downloaded from the right side bar.