At the heart of our strategy are frontrunners who operate at the cutting edge of developments because of their great ideas, new solutions, high impact collaborations and courage. We catalyse their innovative, persistent attempts to realise social change. We support and bring to scale their most promising solutions. We link all parties that can and want to be part of these solutions. And we help create an enabling – political – environment in which these solutions can really stand a chance to flourish.
Our three-step approach to social change:
- Supporting frontrunners and develop ideas. This involves engaging game-changing pioneers and frontrunners that inspire others by scoping for these innovators and providing them with a platform, connecting them to different networks, providing start-up funding, training, and other assistance.
- Connecting multiple stakeholders and co-create solutions. Hivos organises multi-actor platforms that are able to transform ideas into solutions and helps them grow and spread. We finance programmes, ensure good monitoring and evaluation, and incorporate lessons learned in future programming
- Influencing policies and scaling solutions. We bring solutions to scale by influencing policies at all levels of government and triggering the interest of media for alternative solutions to persistent problems. We also scale out successful solutions to other countries and regions.
Our instruments to support partners, pioneers and platforms:
- Hivos engages a large and diverse network of partners in everything we do.
- Hivos invests in knowledge and innovation to trigger change. By staying ahead of the curve in understanding social change and crises, we can make our role and programmes more effective.
- Hivos develops relevant programmes and ensures they are properly managed – this is the heart of our work. Hivos uses communication strategies, such as thought leadership, campaigning, public and media relations, to create an enabling environment for our programmes to thrive.
- Hivos develops the capacity of organisations to increase their effectiveness. This can range from enhancing basic management and administrative skills, to specialised training on international advocacy, networking and fundraising.
- Hivos engages in advocacy to make laws, regulations and markets work in favour of marginalised groups. We support our partners in their advocacy efforts and also directly mobilise citizens, policymakers and other relevant actors in the Netherlands, the European Union and at the United Nations through campaigns.
- Hivos provides grants to partners and projects, and experiments with other financing mechanisms such as crowdfunding and impact investing.