Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Hivos is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Project Manager East Africa. The Project Manager is responsible for the implementation of the East Africa regional component of the ‘Resource of Open Minds’ (R.O.O.M) program. This includes the final operational and financial oversight of grant-making in East Africa and coordinating building capacity of artists, musicians, filmmakers and other content makers and creative hubs in critical content, audience development, finance, operations, creative activism etc. Finally the Project manager will be involved in the global linking and learning activities of the program and help to set up a toolkit and resource for the creation of critical content in the 21st century.
The R.O.O.M program aims to build a global movement of young artists, musicians, filmmakers, designers and other content creators who rethink and rebuild the space for free expression in the 21st century. To achieve these objectives, the program provides grants to collectives and hubs of content creators who challenge norms in their society The program implement effective professional skills development training for artists and content creators and provide means for experimentation. The program aims to strengthen inter-regional and global cooperation through joined linking and learning activities such as African Crossroads. The program is active on the African continent and specifically in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Egypt.
Program Planning and Strategy
- Implementation of the ‘Resource of Open Minds’ program in the Eastern Africa and particularly in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda.
- Actively look for synergies with the other regions that are part of the program and develop the regional strategy linking up with other regions of the R. O.O. M program.
- Undertake annual planning and budgeting for the regional components of the R.O.O.M program.
Program implementation and monitoring
- Develop and implement a plan for M&E for the regional component and ensure that partners are clear on how to contribute to the plan.
- Review and assess the program progress, including through regular partner meetings.
- Establish a regular reporting schedule(financial and narrative) with regional partners ensuring that all reports respond to relevant program indicators and are in line with the regional M&E Framework.
- Carry out regular field trips to partners and communities specified in the R.O.O.M to ensure ongoing oversight of the regional program components.
- Contribute to quarterly and annual program review process ensuring that the review provides clear evidence of progress and challenges and that it meets internal and external reporting requirements.
- Set up a global toolkit and training program for critical content creation in the 21st century together with the Global Program Manager.
- Develop and produce timely project narrative and financial reports in accordance Hivos and donor requirements.
Partnership and support
- Management of relationship with key stakeholders in the project environment; promotes and integrates the materialisation of their support into actions and shares successes and failures for further improvement.
- Ensure that all relationships with partners are in keeping with Hivos core values, policies and procedures.
- Promote accountability of partners to target communities as specified in the R.O.O.M program.
- Work together with the Program Development Manager – Freedom and Accountability to identify additional funding sources for the R.O.O.M Program and contribute to the development of applications as agreed.
- Ensure that partners are aware of the grant management and reporting requirements of back donors and where necessary provide training and support to partners in order to meet these demands.
Advocacy & Networking
- Participate in relevant thematic working groups, networks and learning forums, nationally, regionally and possibly internationally in order to improve R.O.O.M program and advocacy learning, sharing and impact.
- Develop relationships with peers in other INGOs working in the same issues as R.O.O.M program and maintain an overview of their work, identifying possible opportunities for collaboration.
Team work and collaboration
- Work collaboratively with colleagues at Regional Offices in East Africa, Southern Africa, Middle East and North Africa and global levels, to contribute to the achievement of broader organizational goals.
- Participate in and contribute to global thematic meetings relevant to the R.O.O.M program.
- Provide project material for Hivos communications and fundraising.
- Possess a degree in arts, humanities or social sciences.
- At least 3 years’ experience in development programming, project management and administration with a bias towards culture, media and technology and human rights based approaches.
- Strong knowledge of the cultural and creative industries globally and East Africa in particular.
- Knowledge of the media sector and technology.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good understanding of project cycle management and application of advocacy strategies.
- Experience of working through partnerships as well as co-implementation.
- Experience managing institutional funding such as from SIDA.
- Good understanding of financial management systems, budget development, monitoring and reporting.
- A results oriented person with strong conceptual, analytical thinking.
- A team worker with strong commitment to working with others to achieve mutual objectives.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience of working with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Strong commitment to the values of free expression, gender equality and social justice.
What we offer
We offer a competitive package based on the candidate’s qualifications and on local terms and conditions.