Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
What is Voice?
An initiative from the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Voice is a Euro 50 million grant facility (2016-2021) that targets the most marginalised and discriminated groups in ten countries in Africa and Asia. It aims to strengthen the lobby and advocacy capacity of Civil Society Organisations and representatives of the target groups based on the principle of Nothing about us without us. Since the most marginalised and discriminated groups are often hard to reach via regular programming, Voice promotes the use of innovative ideas and strategies, in order to empower these groups and to have their voices heard and respected.
Two years into programme implementation, beautiful voices are starting to emerge. In order to amplify these voices, it is clear that we need to strengthen the communications function within Voice. To this end we are establishing a small decentralised Voice Communications Hub of two FTEs that will help to increase Voice’s visibility while being closer to the ten Voice country teams in Africa and Asia.
For more information on Voice please visit www.voice.global
- Reporting to the overall Programme Manager within the Coordination Team, the Amplifier / Communications Coordinator will develop further and lead on the implementation of the Communications Strategy. This includes -but is not limited to- the visibility of the Voice grantees, linking and connecting them to existing campaigns within Oxfam, Hivos and beyond as well as the visibility of Voice itself.
- You are responsible for the strategic direction of the bilingual website www.voice.global and social media, as well as looking for further synergies to connect Voice (and its grantees) online and offline, for example in academic journals and radio stations.
- You are also responsible for the development of publications and products where necessary as well as producing regular statistics on our online presence and visibility.
- You will line manage the Communications Assistant.
In all your tasks you will closely collaborate with the Voice country teams and Coordination Team to support their communication needs.
- Communications strategy development and implementation;
- Timeliness and efficiency;
- Lead on further developing and implementing the Voice Communications strategy, working closely with the Voice coordination team, country teams and stakeholders for inputs and ownership;
- Assess and seize opportunities for Voice grantees and Voice itself to amplify voices by linking them to (existing) campaigns and/or programmes within Oxfam, Hivos and beyond as well as create strategic speaking opportunities at conferences and other events for grantees and Voice;
- Line-manage and support the Communications Assistant and where needed provide hands-on support;
- Lead on the provision and sharing of statistics on Communications using google analytics. This is also important for our Management Information System and donor reporting;
- Provide oversight on the VoiceMail, the monthly newsletter and develop appropriate themes and topics;
- Lead on the (co)-writing and publication of blogs, stories and other articles that will help amplify voices;
- Assess the need for consultants, such as web developers, product designers, translators etc. and develop Terms of References to guide their work;
- Ensure Voice branding and logo guidelines are used and adhered to by all stakeholders;
- Support to national Voice country teams on Communication needs.
- Result orientation
The formulation of results to be attained from the objectives of Voice in terms of quality and quantity. The basis for managing through decisive actions and evaluations.
To provide guidance and steering to staff members, stimulate co-operation; determine the goals and results to be achieved and assign tasks, powers and responsibilities to staff members.
Signals opportunities, acts on them and in doing so dares to take responsible risks.
To contribute actively to a joint result, also when there is no direct self-interest of a functional or personal nature. To build bridges and find common ground from cultural differences.
- Customer orientation
To analyse the wishes and needs of the internal customer and act accordingly.
- Planning & Organisation
- From a set target, to determine priorities and indicate a ranking of activities and needed resources.
- You are a pro-active and innovative communicator with a higher professional education in Communication and with at least 5 years of working experience in this field (although we value the latter more than a degree!). You have affinity with the objectives of Voice.
- You have knowledge of and experience with strategy development for communications, campaigns and campaigning, developing synergies and seizing opportunities to increase visibility -both online and offline.
- You are a well-organised independent, decisive and energetic person who doesn’t have a 9 to 5 mentality.
- You have excellent communication skills both oral and in writing in English (French is an asset but not a requirement). Finally, we expect you to have great social interaction skills.
What we offer
Employment is subject to Hivos East Africa Grade for the position and is dependent on skills and experience. Travel costs are compensated in accordance with Hivos travel regulations.