Hivos (www.hivos.org) is an international organization that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. We are inspired by humanist values. Our mission is to innovate for social change. With smart projects in the right places, we strive towards open and green societies. An open society guarantees freedom, welcomes diversity and provides equal opportunities for all. A green society is a society where people use natural resources and the environment sustainably and to the benefit of all. We develop our activities in close cooperation with our global partner network of civil society organizations, innovative businesses, innovators, donors and impact investors.
Hivos was one of the first organizations that campaigned for sexual rights. We have always endeavored to lend a hand to groups of people who fall by the wayside. Naturally this includes lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender (LGBT's), but also men who have sex with men (MSM), without considering themselves to be homosexual. Hivos has never been afraid to put the most controversial, politically and socially sensitive issues on the agenda. We believe that this is essential of people are to have control over their own bodies, their sexual identity and their relationships.
Since 2015, the traditional funding for sexual rights and diversity has decreased dramatically in the Latin America region. This is due to changes of priorities of conventional bilateral and multilateral donors and new policies in the USA and Europe. In order to reduce the gap in funding, Hivos wants to develop new fundraising mechanisms. We want to engage a consultancy firm in this process, to accompany us in the development of this strategy. Our aim is to raise funds with High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI). This TOR defines the assignment.
02. Duration of the assignment
This assignment is for an initial period of one year. Based on the results obtained in this period, we will expect to extend the contract for another 3-4 years.
03. Aim of the consultancy
The aim of this consultancy is to build on existing knowledge and understanding and develop a clear path for implementation of a Fund Raising Program with focus on HNWI whom are interested in supporting our work on sexual rights and diversity in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The main results are:
- report on opportunities and constraints in this funding space in the region
- case for support
- short list of potential donors to approach
- design of the fundraising strategy
- support in approaching the first leads.
04. Scope of the Consultancy
- As a first step the consultancy is focused on sexual rights/ diversity, and we will work on pilots in two or three countries: Costa Rica, Guatemala and a third country.
- The Consultant activities will include a combination of: market research on individual donors to determine the impact and value proposition for introducing alternative financing.
- The consultants will recommend the alternative financing tools and consider how they can be implemented.
- The Consultant will report to the Hivos Hub Director for coordination and approval of work outputs.
- The Consultant will work closely with members of the Hivos Financial Resilience team and the Hivos frontrunner on private fundraising.
- The consultant will train and coach Hivos staff members for them to build up fund raising capacity towards this specific target group
Research and strategy activities
- To identify and research potential new individual donors using personal contacts, data, references & regular contacts trough face to face.
- Survey on private funding opportunities and constraints in the focus countries and report minimum 5 potential donor leads by 15 Dec 2017.
- Profile and contact 12 potential NWIs in 2018
- Create a sexual diversity philanthropic focus group, create and track detailed donor lists, and build long term relationships with them.
- Update of analysis of suitable funding opportunities/grants with details on requirements and restrictions, target groups and areas of interest for the Hivos in the private donations area
- Develop, adapt and manage a communication and marketing strategy and calendar of outreach activities, in close collaboration with the Communication department and Financial Resilience Committee.
- Identify and wrap main projects to be funded, according to strategic plan of Hivos.
- Generate a Philanthropic funding opportunities dossier
- Elaborate a monthly donor visits program
- Coach the Hivos team in writing and submitting proposals to HNWI when necessary.
- Training Hivos fundraising officers, program staff, and members of the group of friends.
- At the conclusion of the consultancy, compose a brief report on the progress and recommendations for necessary next steps.
- Case for support
- Mapping of existing initiatives and potential partners
- Develop fund raising strategy towards HNWI
- Create a financial mechanism for donations receive.
- Develop a business plan for the fundraising strategy. (expected investments and income for next 5 years)
- Fundraising materials
- Brief final report containing information about the implemented strategy, identified opportunities and challenges and recommendations for further actions.
- Identify at least 25 donors per year that could support Hivos LAC work in the future
- Formalized agreement with donors to assure at least two medium-term (1 year) partnerships with two donors
- Pledges: US$ 5 million (period for disbursements might go over the year 2022),
- Income: US$ 1.5 million,
- Creation of the Guatemalan and Costa Rican group of friends:
- Description of purpose, roles and responsibilities,
- Five members recruited,
- One champion.
08. Consultancy Requirements
Consultants will be chosen based on the following criteria:
Background and Skills
- At least 5 years of professional experience in HNWI fundraising
- Professional experience in the civil society and/or the business sector
- Sensitivity towards sexual rights/ diversity and wellbeing issues in the region
- Preferably experience in donor fund raising with the LGBTI target group
- Fluency in English and Spanish (writing and speaking) and an inquisitive mind
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Enthusiasm, dedication, entrepreneurial spirit, “can-do” attitude
- Must be able to multi-task and be detail-oriented
- Creativity and the ability to think “outside-of-the-water box” is desired
- Good team working skills