This year is an exciting year for Hivos as we mark 50 years since our founding. With presence and a track record of more than 30 years in Southern Africa. Hivos seeks to mark its anniversary by showing its legacy, purpose and future outlook. To travel in time and feel proud to be Hivos, the 50 year anniversary to be held on Friday 7th September 2018 in Harare, Zimbabwe will be executed in three (3) themes: Back to the past, We are Hivos now and Looking into the future. In half-a-day, from midday until evening, Hivos will celebrate and connect with stakeholders such as civil society, government partners, funding partners, embassies, friends and staff.
Hivos Southern Africa is currently seeking a Consulting Events Manager or Events Management Company to act as the focal management and communication liaison for the Hivos@50 anniversary celebrations on the 7th September 2018 in Harare, Zimbabwe. The event manager is expected to oversee the execution of the anniversary celebrations, highlighting our unique historical contribution to innovation for social change and ensure that the half-a-day event is operated smoothly.
The event is meant to cover the following aspects of the 50 year journey:
Trip down the memory lane – back to the past… Purpose: showing our legacy
We are Hivos – Here and now! Purpose: profiling Hivos
Into the future – What will happen? Purpose: future forecasts and having fun
The Events Manager will report to the Regional Communications Officer under the overall supervision of the Hivos@50 Steering Committee and the Hivos Southern Africa Executive Regional Director.
- Develop and agree on scope and workplan of the celebrations with Hivos@50 Steering Committee
- Research and select appropriate venue for the event by ensuring proper booking and accommodation for some participants.
- Abide by the Hivos events manual in line with Hivos global office standards
- Support the Regional Communications Officer and in-house teams to conceptualise the events and oversee entire coordination.
- Utilise Hivos’ network to send out invites using a comprehensive list of stakeholders with appropriate follow-up of guests’ confirmations.
- Work with Hivos’ vendors and contractors for appropriate venue management, catering, contractors, equipment hiring and merchandise production.
- Identify, secure and brief speakers and special guests.
- Coordinate all suppliers to ensure all the events run smoothly.
- Apply procurement procedures in all contractual paperwork in accordance with Hivos’ policies and procedures.
- Providing support to Hivos’ management when needed in the overall event execution.
- Conduct routing update meetings and report to Hivos@50 Steering Committee on progress, challenges and opportunities.
- Produce a report on the event with detailed proceedings including recommendations for future Hivos events.
Content and Agenda:
In close cooperation with the Regional Communications Officer, generate and implement the event’s work plan with timelines and strategy of execution by focusing on the main themes.
- Secure media spaces for Hivos’ positioning through features or interviews.
- Provide guidance in development of innovative and visually compelling communications merchandise.
- A degree or masters in communications or events management.
- Experience in coordinating brand’s profiling involving exhibitions, anniversaries, high profile stakeholder engagements, celebrity liaison etc.
- Proven background in delivering an event from beginning to the end including full logistics and budget management.
- A creative with an eye for art and innovation.
- Marketing experience.
- Strong management experience.
- Presence in the media.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and spoken.
What we offer
A three and half months contract from 1 June - 15 September 2018.