Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Hivos East Africa would like to review its impact in various sectors in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. Recalling our history resonates with our strategic objectives in recognizing our niche in areas such as governance, human rights, energy, and social entrepreneurship etc and recognizing who we are as an organisation.
In order to do so, Hivos East Africa looks to build on an organisational track record that will document our history in supporting various sectors while at the same time include lessons that we can learn from the past.
This Terms of Reference guides the consultant on the impact documentation that will be done in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda.
Scope of work
The consultant will be expected to harvest Hivos’ track record from:
- Previously granted organisations and individual partners;
- Previous and current Hivos staff;
- Conduct a literature review using appropriate documents such as annual reports, end of term reports etc.
Years under review: Jan 2010-Dec 2016
Roles and responsibilities
- Submit to Hivos a design of the implementation of the assignment including data collection tools, workplan, timelines and budget.
- Final products:
- Well written narrative report on Hivos’ track record in each thematic area indicating:
- People reached by organisation funded.
- Most significant change stories.
- Overall impact of Hivos’ work in the East Africa region.
- Provide consultant a comprehensive list with contacts of:
- Previously funded grantees and partners;
- Previous Hivos staff.
- Facilitate travel, accommodation, meals and communication costs. Consultant will be expected to submit support documentation on this expenditure as per acceptable market rates.
- Over 5 years ‘ experience in documenting impact through qualitative and quantitative data analysis;
- Past experience in similar assignments;
- Research and interviewing skills;
- Masters in social sciences;
- Able to work independently without supervision.
Timeline: 21 working days upon signing of contract.
Hivos does not provide insurance and the Consultant will be expected to have their own travel insurance as well as their own risk management plan.