To address the complexity and persistence of many social issues, Hivos particularly acknowledges the unique ability of art and design to look at reality differently and thus inspire new ideas and ways of relating to the world we seek to change. That is why Hivos has a twenty-year track record developing the skills and knowledge of the arts and cultural sector in Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Southeast Asia. Most recently, from 2014 to 2018, the Age of Wonderland program facilitated encounters and collaborations between western and non-western artists and designers working on many issues including food, waste, privacy and big data. Hivos now invites artists, designers and other creatives into the heart of our strategic thinking, program development and advocacy work.
What if? is a two-year pilot project that aims to develop and implement a strategy to integrate artistic and design thinking into Hivos’ programs globally. The implementation of the What if? pilot will be embedded in Hivos’ Strategy, Communications and Innovation Unit (SCI), which plays a pivotal role in facilitating organizational strategy development, learning, and innovation.
As Creative Resources Connector you are the project leader of this pilot under the supervision of the Hivos Strategy and Innovation Coordinator at SCI. You will be responsible for:
- overseeing the implementation of the What if? pilot (two years);
- designing and facilitating pilot activities such as internships of art and design students, workshops for program teams, days of learning, presentations by artists and designers, and in-house- residencies;
- establishing linkages and collaborations between Hivos staff and relevant artistic and design initiatives globally;
- monitoring, evaluating and documenting lessons learned;
- developing, coordinating and presenting the final What if? strategy as part of an overall innovation strategy based on this pilot;
- attracting additional external funding to sustain this strategy beyond the pilot phase;
- overseeing and managing the budget for the pilot.
You bring a new set of skills and expertise to the SCI team to help the organization make the most of its own in-house creative potential, tap into a global network of artists and designers, and contribute to external positioning of the organization.
As a leader of the What if? pilot, you create the fibers connecting Hivos staff and the creative thinkers and makers we want to engage with. You are a “mover and shaker” who has the patience, vision and planning skills to transform ideas into real projects.
You are flexible and pragmatic and know how to create synergies between the five thematic areas of Hivos: Freedom and Accountability; Sexual Rights and Diversity; Women’s Empowerment; Sustainable Food, and Renewable Energy, and the arts and design sector. You have the talent to engage and inspire others and know how to get people productively out of their comfort zone.
- General understanding of and interest in Hivos’ work in the thematic areas and main stakeholders and recent developments (international development, iNGOs, Sustainable Development Goals, etc.)
- Minimum three years of substantive experience working internationally with artists, designers and cultural organizations in Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Southeast Asia. You have a broad international network in the creative sector.
- Ability to create synergies between the thematic areas of Hivos and the international arts and design sector.
- Willingness and ability to travel and work in different countries in Africa, Latin America, Middle East, Southeast Asia or the Netherlands.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English (French, Spanish, Swahili, Arabic and/or Dutch language skills are considered a pre).
- Track record of successful fundraising for cultural and creative projects.
- You live in the Netherlands, you are an EU citizen or have a valid residence and work permit for the Netherlands.
What we offer
The opportunity to work in a professional, internationally-oriented team doing work that contributes to a free, fair and sustainable world. If you are interested in politics, international affairs and issues such as freedom of speech, women’s empowerment, sustainable food or renewable energy, you will enjoy working at Hivos!
Your salary will be between € 3.118,34 and € 4.491,04 gross per month (scale 11), based on a 36-hour work week (full time).
Hivos is an international organization that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with governments, businesses, citizens and their organizations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.