Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Hivos is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Finance and Administration Officer East Africa. The officer is responsible for the finance and administration and will assist the project manager in the implementation of the East Africa regional component of the ‘Resource of Open Minds’ (R.O.O.M) program. This includes maintaining oversight of financial and contractual compliance of a portfolio of grants, monitor and evaluate financial performance, compliance and risks of grantees. Tasks include ensuring that amongst others: payments are processed timely and correctly, ensure monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual budget comparisons are prepared and variance analysis reports provided. The Finance and Administration officer will do financial and operational capacity building of partners and will be responsible for all program administration and monitoring and evaluation.
The R.O.O.M program aims to build a global movement of young artists, musicians, filmmakers, designers and other content creators who rethink and rebuild the space for free expression in the 21st century. To achieve these objectives, the program provides grants to collectives and hubs of content creators who challenge norms in their society. The program implements effective professional skills development training for artists and content creators and provide means for experimentation. The program aims to strengthen inter-regional and global cooperation through joined linking and learning activities such as African Crossroads. The program is active on the African continent and specifically in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Egypt.
- Oversee finance and project administration of the ROOM program in Eastern Africa.
- Maintaining oversight of financial and contractual compliance of a portfolio of grants.
- Set up and implement the Monitoring, Evaluation and Finance systems for partners and provides reports on operational and financial progress of grantees. Monitors monthly project spending prepares monthly management accounts and ensure budget comparisons are prepared and variance analysis reports provided.
- Financial and operational capacity building of partners and monitor and evaluate their financial performance and compliance. Involvement in budgeting and forecasting process.
- Ensure payments are processed timely and correctly.
- Ensure grants are administered in the Hivos systems.
- Assesses audited financial statements of projects and program partners.
- Approves audited financial statements and communicates with project/program partners.
- Performs financial inspections of project partners as needed.
- Coordinates fulfillment of financial reporting obligations of projects.
- Provide administrative support to program activities.
- Document the highlights and agreements of key activities with partners and stakeholders.
- Level of professional and analytical ability: A holder of CPA (K) or ACCA and a Bachelor of Commerce (accounting/Finance option) or other relevant degree.
- Affinity with finances and administration.
- Have experiences in dealing with administration such as bidding documents, contracts, invoices, etc.:
- Practical knowledge spreadsheet and working Knowledge of an ERP environment.
- General Knowledge of ICT, MS Office.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant accounting experience, preferable in an international or donor organization.
- Experience in administering large amounts of information and surveys.
- Ability to work in a financially complex international organization.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively; good command of oral and written English.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Professional discretion.
What we offer
We offer a competitive package based on the candidate’s qualifications and on local terms and conditions.