The Finance Officer position assists the activities of the Tender Support and Compliance Officer and the Finance Manager. The Finance Officer supports programme and project teams in both the resource mobilisation process and the result delivery process: the financial project accounts. He/She designs and prepares budgets and financial aspects of project proposals; administers the donor and implementing contracts; and manages the related cash flow and reporting schedules. The Finance Officer assesses budgets and financial statements of grantees. The Finance Officer administers and reviews the income statements of projects implemented by Hivos and assists the Project Leaders with their internal and external reporting obligations.The Finance Officer is alsoresponsible for all office administration tasks of the Programme; such as Procurements, Supplier Contract documents, Travel and accommodation. He/She assists management and others in the operational, financial and administrative organisation of the work of the Office. He/She safeguards financial assets through implementation of financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems.
- The Finance Officer works with the Tender Support and Compliance Officer positions, which focus on compliance regarding donor requirements in the primary process: results, budget and deployment of proposals and contract (implementation).
- Prepares financial aspects of Hivos proposals according to requirements & procedures and provides financial and administrative assistance to Project Leaders and teams.
- Administers funding (donor) and implementation (assignments) contracts in terms of ‘rights and obligations’ to comply with, operates remittance schedules and reporting cycles and prepares internal and external financial programme and project statements. Assesses budgets and financial statements of grantees
- Reviews and administers revenue and expenditure and income statements for individual implementation contracts assigned to Hivos, according to donor and Hivos regulations and procedures.
- Advises in order to enhance accounting and reporting methods and capabilities on both the organisation and the individual level
- Assist with initiation of all administration and project disbursements ensuring compliance with Hub SAF Financial policies and procedures and statutory requirements
- Assist with settlements of monthly obligations in respect of outstanding Hub SAF service providers (including creditors reconciliations)
- Assist with recovery of pending trip advances in accordance with Hub SAF policies
- Assists with the maintenance database of financial and accounting requirements & procedures and shares knowledge
- Assist with the compilation of periodic project financial reports for (timely) submission to donors (inclusive of consolidation of Hivos and partner costs) for all projects.
- Relevant Degree in Finance
- Relevant work experience: at least three (3) years managing finance and administrative procedures in the non-governmental sector
- Work experience in complex financial environments
- Accounting skills; Attention to detail and capacity to closely review work under pressure; Very good computer skills specifically familiarity with Excel; Strong English written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong understanding of policies and procedures; Experience in conducting compliance visits; Ability to work independently and under pressure;
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with other personnel;
- Ability to work with people from different backgrounds and nationalities.
- Self motivation and enthusiasm and ability to work under own initiative
What we offer
Hivos offers a challenging position in an international environment. The Regional office is based in Harare, Zimbabwe. This position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi. Hivos welcomes International and Regional applicants but can only offer a position to only those with a valid workpermit for Malawi. Hivos can only offer employment on local terms and conditions.