North Africa has a relatively young population, with more and more young people trying to make a sustainable living each year. As a response to this, the Green Works program aims to help create more economic opportunities within the Green Economy for young women and men between 15 and 35.
Our desire is to enable young men and women to find and hold decent jobs in the Green Economy, which Hivos defines as “future proof”. This means economies that are expected to continue growing and that require young people to have skills not provided by traditional education systems. To ensure that these economies expand in North Africa with an adequate value chain supporting their growth, Hivos also aims to stimulate the formation of innovation clusters to feed these economies with viable business solutions.
The objectives of the program are fourfold:
- Innovation clusters are formed that enable businesses operating in the green and digital economies to scale.
- Business Development Support Organizations and employability hubs increase their capacities to create jobs and implement private sector development beyond the program’s support.
- Youth trained in 21st-century skills find jobs in future-proof employment economies.
- Social enterprises operating in future-proof employment economies scale their businesses thereby creating new jobs.
Green Works is a continuation of previous programs Hivos has been implementing in North Africa over the past five years: Mideast Creatives from 2014 to 2016; Coworking for Sustainable Employment from 2016 to 2018; and Boosting Bottom-Up Societal Transformation (BOOST) in 2019. This collective endeavor has successfully supported more than 25 collaborative spaces in Algeria, Egypt, Libya, and Tunisia, and has helped to create more than 200 new businesses, scale more than 100 others and create more than 3,000 new job opportunities.
The core responsibility of the MEL Officer is to ensure that the Green Works Program maintains a proper and efficient planning, monitoring and evaluation system. Furthermore, the MEL Officer will focus on the development of (collective) learning and thought leadership.
Your specific tasks would include:
- Developing tools and systems, such as M&E tools, guidelines and other reference documents for M&E to ensure harmonized data collection systems.
- Providing continuous support to the Green Works team and alliance partners on how to plan, monitor & evaluate properly.
- Working with partners to review and monitor project-based M&E plans to track results or fill identified gaps in current M&E plans and outputs.
- Conducting data verification and quality control exercises in project countries, and leading on improvement of data quality.
- Overseeing the Learning component, by developing the learning questions and agenda; building and leading a process of continuous re-evaluation, re-energizing, re-thinking, re-tooling and re-shaping the strategies used.
- Coordinating the production and dissemination of high quality learning products in coordination with the communication officer.
- Other tasks requested by line manager.
- You have at least a bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree is an advantage) in a relevant field (e.g. development, research, social science, and statistics).
- You have demonstrated knowledge of quantitative and qualitative M&E systems and tools
- You have a minimum of 3 years of active M&E experience in an (international) non-governmental organization (NGO) or relevant environment.
- You have experience conducting interviews and focus group discussions with a variety of stakeholders.
- You have experience in data analysis and assessments.
- You are well-organized, flexible, independent, decisive and energetic, with an entrepreneurial spirit and working attitude.
- You have excellent communication and social interaction skills, and are fluent in both written and spoken English and Arabic. French is a plus.
- You are able to travel to project sites as requested.
What we offer
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. Employment is offered as soon as possible for the period of one year with possible extension for a longer period. Depending on your experience and skills your salary will be in accordance with the salary scale applicable to the office where you will be based. For more information, please contact Mr. Ahmed Sameh, Green Works Program Manager: email@example.com
Specific Employment Conditions for this vacancy
Until the conclusion of Hivos’ registration as a foreign NGO in Tunisia, this position will be hosted at Al Bawsala, a Tunisian non-profit association, whose principal place of business is at 4, Rue Apollo XI, Cité Mahrajène Belvédère, Tunis 1082. A one year local contract will be offered to the employee under Al Bawsala and accordingly, employment conditions of Al Bawsala will apply for this vacancy. Consequently the applicant needs to be eligible to work in Tunisia.
Upon the conclusion of Hivos’ registration in Tunis (and based on the employee’s performance) Hivos intends to place the employee’s contract under Hivos’ umbrella, where Hivos’ Tunis Office employment conditions will apply.
The MENA program of Hivos contributes to political, societal and economic processes that aim at societal transformation to pluralist and democratic societies with respect for human rights and equal opportunities for all citizens. It collaborates citizen activists, creative entrepreneurs, co-working spaces and alternative financial mechanisms such as crowd funding and investments.
Hivos is an international organization that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organizations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
How to apply
Please apply before May 27, 2020. Both a letter of motivation and resume need to be submitted in English to Hivos via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with reference code: 400-34
A minimum of three references will be checked prior to entering into service at Hivos.
Direct applications only. No recruiters, please.