Since January 2016 Hivos implements the project Co-working for Sustainable Employment in Egypt, Tunisia, Libya and Algeria as part of its Mideast Creatives programme. The project focuses on creating sustainable employment for young entrepreneurs and in particular women under the age of 25. High unemployment rates and lack of prospects amongst the youth in the Maghreb region are some of the most urgent problems contributing to societal discontent and to patterns of migration to Europe both legally and illegally. The new component of the Mideast Creatives programme supports young enterprising people to set up their own business. We are doing so that through the establishment and support to coworking spaces, providing of training and counseling to young potential entrepreneurs and assistance to develop business plans and getting access to finance. For this project, Hivos has the following vacancy:
Project Officer ‘Mideast Creatives Youth Entrepreneurship’ in the Maghreb region
32 hours per week, based in Tunisia (Working from The Netherlands with frequent stays in Algeria and Tunisia might also be an option).
What is your responsibility?
- The implementation of the ‘Co-working for Sustainable Employment’ project in the Maghreb region and particularly in Tunisia and Algeria as agreed in the final document as approved by Hivos and the financier and in close cooperation with the Project Officer in The Hague
- Regular monitoring and evaluation of project activities with co-working spaces in Tunisia, Libya and Algeria
- Management of relationship with co-working spaces.
- Building effective collaborations between co-working spaces and local private sector and youth and women organizations
- Setting up the media campaign in close coordination with our local partner
- Connecting local entrepreneurs to the investor consortium coordinated by Hivos Impact Investments
- Development of synergies with other Hivos programmes in North Africa.
- You are answerable to the Programme Director MENA at Hivos in The Hague.
What is your profile?
You have a masters’ degree in development studies, economics, or other relevant fields. You have a passion for private sector development and working with youth entrepreneurship and investors. You have experience with international cooperation and societal and economic developments in Northern Africa or the Middle East. You have an entrepreneurial spirit and working attitude, affinity with project management and financial administration. Finally, we expect you to have good communication and social interaction skills both verbally and in writing in English, French and Arabic. You will be based in Tunisia.
What do we offer?
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. Employment is offered as soon as possible for the period of one year with possible extension for a longer period. Depending on your experience your salary will be based on Hivos scale 10. Travel costs are compensated in accordance with Hivos Regulations We offer participation in the pension fund.
The MENA programme of Hivos contributes to political, societal and economic processes that aim at societal transformation to pluralist and democratic societies with respect for human rights and equal opportunities for all citizens. It collaborates citizen activists, creative entrepreneurs, coworking spaces and alternative financial mechanisms such as crowd funding and investments.
Hivos is a Dutch non-governmental organization inspired by humanist values. Together with local organizations, Hivos seeks to contribute to a free, fair and sustainable world in which citizens – women and men – have equal access to the resources and opportunities for their development. Hivos believes in the creativity and capacity of individuals. Quality, co-operation and innovation form the core concepts in Hivos’s philosophy.