Are you driven by a desire to contribute to the quality system of Hivos? Do you have knowledge on and experience in the Hivos procedures and project management way of working? Do you have good analytical skills and good communication skills? Do you want to assist the Quality Control Officer in implementing activities for a few months?
Hivos is an international organization guided by humanist values. Together with local civil society organizations (CSOs) in developing countries, Hivos wants to contribute to a free, fair, inclusive and sustainable world, by promoting social innovation and durable solutions to current global problems.
As part of those efforts, Hivos joined the fight against HIV and AIDS since the early 90’s, and now has a renowned and experienced trajectory in this field. In 2016 alone, the Hivos’ “HIV and Human Rights Programme” portfolio consists of more than 60 community-based organizations or networks located in 30 countries in Africa, Latin America & the Caribbean, and South East Asia. With support from the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (the Global Fund), the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and other donors, Hivos’ interventions follow a human rights-based approach which focus on reducing the risks, vulnerability and impact of HIV on the lives of those most affected by the epidemic, by:
- Empowering community-based organisations (CBOs) and networks of Key Populations, i.e. Men who have sex with men (MSM), sex workers (SW), transgender persons (TG), people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHIV), people who use drugs (PWUD), young women and girls, among others;
- Improving access to quality and stigma-free healthcare services, including sexual health education and psychosocial support;
- Generating evidence for human rights advocacy; and,
- Promoting enabling environments, free from taboos and discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation.
Hivos is continuously looking for ways to continue supporting the global response against HIV and advocate for the rights of those who are most at risk of being affected by the disease.
Objective of the assignment
The objective of this assignment is to develop an overarching communication strategy for the Hivos “HIV and Human Rights Programme”, to support the strategic positioning of the HIV work of the organization, the advocacy efforts and the institutional fundraising efforts. The communication strategy must contain a 2-year comprehensive work plan to implement the strategy, and an estimated budget for its operationalization.
For the implementation of this assignment Hivos is looking for a communication consultant that is familiar with the international response against the HIV and AIDS epidemic, and particularly with its human rights dimension (i.e. gender equality, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, stigma and discrimination, poverty and inequality, barriers to access healthcare, violence, and other human rights violations). However, the consultant doesn’t have to be an expert on the topic. He/she has knowledge and experience in developing narratives and strategic communication plans. Excellent command of English is required, and command of Spanish is highly desirable.
- Review key programme documents and plans to internalize the Hivos “HIV and Human Rights Programme” and implementation strategies;
- Conduct short interviews with the HIV and Human Rights program staff and with relevant Hivos Communications Officers (with the staff of the Hivos’ Strategic Communications Department or SCI, and also with those directly working for the “HIV and Human Rights Programme”) to collect further information on their current strategies, activities, needs and key messages. Such interviews would be conducted in order to make sure that the new communication strategy and narrative of the “HIV and Human Rights Programme” are fully aligned with the Hivos’ brand guidelines, values, and our strategic/corporate positioning strategies.
- Come up with a new name for the programme, and an attractive URL for the programme’s website, i.e. http://(...).hivos.org
- Develop a communication strategy for the program, making sure to:
- Establish Communication objectives of the programme with a “new” narrative (e.g. focus on long term sustainability and long-term effectiveness of the HIV response, new roles of Hivos as an international NGO, new funding context, closing space for civil society, etc.);
- Describe what makes the Hivos “HIV and Human Rights Programme” programme unique – a positioning statement;
- Identify key messages for each target audience (i.e. stakeholders) and provide instructions/suggestions to further develop/adapt these to each of the regions where the Programme is active (i.e. Global/International, Latin America & Caribbean, Southern Africa, East Africa, South East Asia and MENA);
- Identify publicity activities/events/conferences tailored to each audience;
- Develop a media plan and identify suitable products and transmission channels (press releases, press conference, editorial, articles in specialised journals, interviews, TV or radio spot, etc.) to promote and position the Programme;
- Produce a projected budget for all activities identified;
- Define critical performance indicators (CPIs) to (try to) measure, monitor and evaluate the impact of such communications strategy;
- Collect and organize all relevant photographic material currently available from the HIV and Human Rights Programmes and related events.
Deliverables and milestones
- The Consultant is expected to start working by December 18, 2017.
- A first draft is expected before January 12, 2017.
- The assignment will be done in close cooperation with Hivos Strategic Communications Department, and with support of Tomas A. Chang Pico, Programme Officer, HIV and Human Rights Programme.
- The consultant will report to Mirjam Musch, Programme Manager, HIV and Human Rights Programme and regularly consult with her about progress and results.
- Hivos will give access to key documents and contacts.
Prices and Payment Scheme:
- Actual payment(s) will be done based on approval Service/Deliverable, report, and timesheet.
- If applicable, daily expenses for local travelling, telephone, and administrative expenses will be paid on declaration/reimbursement basis.
Hivos seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
 Hivos brand guidelines will be shared separately.