Hivos is an international non-governmental humanist organization. Together with local and global partners, the organization seeks to contribute to a free, fair and sustainable world in which people have equal access to resources and have the power to control their lives and their future. Hivos believes in the creativity and capacity of individuals. Quality, co-operation, and innovation form the core concepts in Hivos’ philosophy.
The Sustainable Agriculture, Food and Environment (SAFE) Platform, is a collaborative high impact coalition of frontrunners in the coffee and cocoa sectors in Latin America. Together, the platform partners aim to raise awareness regarding the need to build 100% sustainable sourcing models, while improving the living conditions of 150.000 smallholders in their own landscapes and increasing their resilience through the adoption of climate-smart agricultural practices.
The post-holder is a key part of the Platform Executing Unit, ensuring high-quality design, monitoring, evaluation, and learning. He/she functions as a bridge between Platform members and projects. The role includes project and sub-project design, work plan implementation and monitoring and control of all projects financed throughout the platform, as well as, advising, designing and executing the knowledge and communication strategy and M&E tools.
Aim of the job
The Project Officer contributes to the performance of the SAFE Platform, which includes the roles of project advisory based on monitoring & evaluation and our learning agenda. Project Officer (PO) is a generic function within Hivos, but in this case, you will become part of the Platform Executive Unit and contribute directly to the implementation of SAFE. Your responsibilities will relate to applied research, social innovation, and co-creation processes to support the further development of the SAFE platform.
The SAFE Platform Manager is the line manager for the SAFE Project Officer. You will be part of the Green Society Group based at the Hivos regional office for Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Project designing: Guide and advise platform members in project/sub-project designing and budgeting, ensuring innovation and scalable result-oriented impact. He/she will follow and implement Hivos’ protocols in project management.
- Workplan execution: Develop and implement annual work plans in accordance with SAFE’s theory of change and overall targets; implementing Hivos’ project management way of work, ensuring budget planning and execution.
- Learning and knowledge management: create and execute protocols to extract knowledge from projects, developing and adopting SAFE M&E tools and applying social innovation methodologies as well as strategic thinking, ensuring knowledge dissemination and capitalization that stimulate joint learning of the platform members.
- Networking: Ensure quality planning and supporting knowledge exchange activities among platform members and other stakeholders.
- Quality improvement: Support communication development strategies among platform partners and from Hivos to IDB, advising and complementing reports to the donor. He/she will participate in reflection and learning on both the project and institutional level.
Knowledge and experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in the areas of economy, business administration, agro-business, environmental management or similar
- Relevant work experience of 3 to 5 years in the area of sustainable commodity chain development, project management, and knowledge management
- Proven capacities in project development, management, and budgeting
- Fluent in Spanish and English, both verbal and written
- Expertise in the coffee and cocoa sectors of Latin America
- Knowledge and experience with methodologies on co-creation and/or social innovation and theory of change is an advantage
- Working experience in an international and/or rural environment
- Conceptual skills in the domain of commodities (coffee and cocoa sectors)
- Analytical skills
- Capacity to convince and negotiate
- Project management
What do we offer?
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. We offer a competitive salary.
For more information about Hivos, visit https://hivos.org/.